Founding The original founders were John Allen from Virginia and Elisha Rumsey from New York. On May 25, 1824, the town plat was registered with Wayne County as “Annarbour”; this represents the earliest known use of the town’s name. The founders wives’ names were both Ann (in the latter case, either Ann Rumsey or Ana Rumsey, depending on the text consulted). One account states that Allen and Rumsey decided to name the settlement “Annarbour” for their spouses (after discarding the alternative names Allensville and Anapolis) and for the stands of bur oak in the 640 acres of land they had purchased for US $800 from the federal government. The Native Americans of the region knew the settlement as Kaw-goosh-kaw-nick, after the sound of Allen’s grist mill.
19th Century Several mills, a tannery, and a general store flourished in the settlement. The general store (or tavern, again depending on the source) was painted bright red. The corner on which it was established, at Huron and Main, became known as Bloody Corners. In 1836, Ann Arbor lost a bid to be established as the state capital. However, in 1837, Ann Arbor won a bid to be the new site for the University of Michigan when it offered 40 acres (160,000 m²) of land for the site.
The Michigan Central Railroad arrived in 1839, making the town a major regional transportation hub. Ann Arbor became the seat of Washtenaw County in 1827, incorporated as a village in 1833, and was chartered as a city in 1851, which was also the year that